[DeTomaso] More Calif Smog Checks

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 20 02:15:11 EDT 2007

<<< Being selfish here; but aren't the majority of our cars still exempt since they were made before 1976? >>>

  Yes, pre-1976 motor vehicles would remain exempt under A.B. 616.

  HOWEVER, it's just the beginning. And once they succeed there, they won't hesitate to go
  after your pre-76 Pantera AGAIN.  Think of income taxes, or CA sales tax, or the gas tax, or
  your property taxes, or...  There's no end.  The politicians who dream up these bills only do
  so to create the appearance of accomplishing something to feather their caps and gain the
  environmental vote.  While in reality, the beneficial impact to the environment of this bill is so
  insignificant it cannot be quantified.

  And think of our children. The cars they will modify, hotrod and collect are those that are 5-
  10 years old now. Yet this bill is bent on killing our hobby, albiet merely delaying the desired
  death by a few years.

  Don't be duped!  The politicians want you to think selfishly and let this bill slide through.
  When I wrote my representatives a few months back to express my objections to this bill
  and urge them to vote accordingly, one of the responses I received was a blanket statement
  that "it will not affect the collector car hobby as vehicles manufactured prior to 1976 are not
  affected by this bill."  I call BULLSH!T.

  I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

  Cheers!
  Garth