[DeTomaso] Pilot bearing

cengles at cox.net cengles at cox.net
Tue Jun 19 22:17:21 EDT 2007

Dear Mike,

>From Tom Monroe's book:" Prior to installing your new bearin, soak it in oil. The bearing is makde from Oilite, a special bronze wthich is self-lubircatin. Soaking it with oil gives it additional lubrication. Also grease the bearing bore in the end of the crankshaft to assist in installing the barring. Line the bearing up with the crank bore and tap it into place. Use a brass mallet and tickwall tube or pipe withich fits the outer edge of the bearing to prevent damagin the bearin'gs bore while installing. it. A large socket works well for this if you don't mind pounding on it.
When starting to drive the bearing in, go easy at first. Be careful not to cock the bearing. Once it is started streaight, it should go the rest of the wasy. If it cocks in the bore, stop and remove it then start over. Drive the bearing in until it is positioned correctly."

Warmest regards, Chuck Engles