[DeTomaso] Fw: Shifter mod

Will Demelo wdemelo at cogeco.ca
Thu Jun 14 23:06:46 EDT 2007

Got it.
Thanks guys.
Will

----- Original Message -----
From: cengles at cox.net
To: Will Demelo
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2007 9:55 PM
Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Shifter mod

Dear Will,

IIRC, if you expose the top of the shifter housing, then you will see a c clip holding about 3/4 inch diameter at the back of the housing. Remove the clip, and remove the round metal top. Beneath that is a spring. Remove the spring. Beneath the spring is a short metal plunger with a tit or nubbin on the end which is pressed into a slot (IIRC) on top of the shifter linkage. Remove the plunger (sometimes it will slide right out. other times it needs some fiddling and persuasion).

Now, start the car and go for a drive. You will likely notice that the shifting action is smoother and easier. It will, alas, not be snick, snick, snick, but I am sure that you will detect a favorable change.

Go home. If you noticed the improvement, then reassemble the center console and you're done. If you did not like the change, then simply re-install the plunger mechanism and reassemble the console and you're done.

The ZF has an internal detent. The plunger is a redundancy and somewhat crude and adds friction to the shift linkage motion. I have had the plunger out of both Panteras now since about 1994 and there have been no ill effects.

Good luck and good wrenchin', Chuck Engles