[DeTomaso] on an on and on and on...

Thomas Tornblom Thomas.Tornblom at hax.se
Thu Jun 14 01:52:51 EDT 2007

LaurieFerrari at aol.com skrev:
> Please explain why MD's posts go on and on (not necessarily in  content but
> in physical length)  ..... no scrolling or what?  It is so  difficult to read
> them as I have to move the cursor way to the right again and  again for each
> line.  I know it's something in the set up, but  what?  Others' posts aren't
> that way except an occasional one from Ken  Green.  Congratulations Doc on your
> marvelous accomplishment!  And  btw, congratulations to you too Ken, on your
> recent marriage.   Wishing you much happiness always!

I believe MUA:s (Mail User Agents) are supposed to break long lines to
around 72 characters per line. I see that this is the default for me in
Mozilla Thunderbird.

Thunderbird appear to do line breaks when viewing received mails, but
not do it when replying and quoting text. I frequently see this when
replying to some individuals, and by looking at the complete headers,
their MUA frequently is some Microsoft product.

I have just check one such mail, sent directly to me, and it appears to
have been composed in M$ Word and sent in both text and html, and the
text part is just one long line, without any line breaks. I guess that
the list software takes the text part and just forwards it, which makes
a mess.

So it is once again Microsoft who can't get their act together and make
software that behaves properly, and I'm not purprised :-)

Thomas