[DeTomaso] Recaro "Style" seats, is there room for them?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Jun 13 04:15:21 EDT 2007

Thomas,

I have Recaros in my Pantera, and love them.   The caveat is that they are
about 2 inches thicker in the seat bottom than the stock seat, and also in the
seat backs, so without any changes these seats will push you up and forward,
usually   not a good thing.   You can get much of that back by lowering the
floorpans (I believe your GT5 came from the factory with lowered floors, no?), and
if necessary, removing some padding.

My seats are extremely comfortable and unfortunately expensive; they cost me
$1410 back in 1993.   They would be better with more lumbar support.   Part of
the high cost was caused by extra optional inflatable lumbar bladders, which
unfortunately got lost somehow and never installed. :<(

What I have is similar to these, although more aggressive (more bolstering):

http://www.recaro.com/index.php?id=166&region=5&L=2

This is a standard '80s style seat without the wild "The Fast and The
Furious" graphics etc. that most Recaros now seem to have, as they are appealing
mainly to the hot-rod Honda set.