[DeTomaso] Recaro "Style" seats, is there room for them?

Thomas Tornblom Thomas.Tornblom at hax.se
Wed Jun 13 03:33:29 EDT 2007

Fastgrandma at aol.com skrev:
> Jack has already headed to bed, so I'll answer on our opinions of Recaro
> style seats (altho he made add something later).   Several years ago we were asked
> to co-autocross another club member's car in which he'd installed such seats;
> these were not real Recaros.   While not noticeably uncomfortable, we didn't
> find them a vast improvement over stock seats.   For autocrossing they were
> not a good choice, especially for Jack as the seats raised him up enough so that
> he had to cock his head sideways to drive with a helmet on.   I'm 5'4" and
> while I didn't have that problem, not needing the visor down while driving, I
> left it raised for driving.   After some time even I had scratches on the visor
> from rubbing on the headliner!   Needless to say, we were not impressed with
> the seats.

Thanks Judy!

I have driven an early car with Recaro seats, and the seat part was too
thick IMHO. I'm not tall, but my head was uncomfortably close to the roof.

My late car also has lower floor pans, which may help.

An option is of course to fix the original wrinkle leather seats, but
the folding mechanism on the driver seat is also in need of repair as it
appears that it isn't holding up to the acceleration forces. When I
floor it, the seatback occasionally falls back :-)

Maybe the Monzas is the way to go anyway... They look pretty thin, and
Roland Jäckel says these are very similar to the nice seats he had in
his shop. Recovering them in white leather while having the rest of the
interior fixed as well is probably a reasonable winter project.

> I think with the above observance, a big thing to consider would be your
> height.   I don't know just what exact seats were in that car but they definitely
> raised the passenger up significantly.   Certainly something to consider.
>
> Several years ago, after having sat in Ike Burr's car (seen on the cover of
> the latest Newsletter) we sent our seats to Mike Cook to redo and have been
> very happy with them.   He completely redid them and at the Vegas event, Ike said
> our seats are more comfortable than his!   So there are options.
>
> Judy VP

Cheers,
Thomas