[DeTomaso] FW:  Which 351 in each year

B. Seib oldwheel at mts.net
Tue Jun 12 09:34:17 EDT 2007

Mike wrote

>The switch to the low-compression motor happened before the transition from
>Pre-L to L, and power dropped accordingly.   However, the advertising
brochures
>took awhile to catch up to that specification change...imagine that? :>)

Mike

You're right Mike.
The change from the closed chamber high comp 351C-4V to the low comp 351CJ
took place over 6 months before the L type was introduced. My car is an
April 72 pre-L and it came with the low comp 4 bolt CJ motor. I have seen
original cars made in the months before mine and April was not the first
month of production that came with the 72 CJ motor. It seems that the supply
of high comp engines didn't last much past January of 72 at DeTomaso, at
least not in US bound cars? maybe they saved a few for the Euros.
Barry