[DeTomaso] Doc Abe Averages 118 Mph at Bonneville 100 Saturday -Congratulations Doc!!!!!

Mad Dog Antenucci teampantera at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 11 23:31:38 EDT 2007

Hey Art,

  Charlie was "banged-up" after his crash but he walked away from a multiple roll over, And he did have the Super Sport tech'd roll cage and the usual safety builds. I believe he had a small cut on his chin from helmet bump and some bruises and that was it.

  Was the tire failure preventable at the 160-180+ mph speed he had the tire failure?  Perhaps.....As I understand it he had HOOSIER's dot R-3's on the Corvair so if he had been on full treaded or even shaved Michelin's, Goodyears or BFG's he might not of had the blow out in the first place.  But, he was also going through a sweeper turn when the left rear tire blew-out on a right hand sweeper. Driving through a blow-out in a sweeper turn in a rear biased car like the Corvair probably also didn't help.

  I've talked to several drivers who have had tire blow outs at high speed (above 150 Mph and even at Unlimited 200+ mph speeds) but Charlie's rear tire failure/blowout was instant and catastrophic and the bottom line is his Corvair immediately went off the road. I think at the last two ORR's I was at Charlie was back to full treaded Y (186 Mph) rated hi-performance tires but I could be wrong...I just know I want the extra cushion of a treaded tire on a less then perfect ORR road surface.  While I have run both Goodyear Eagles and Goodyear RS-CS dot race tires and BFG R-1 dot race tires in the past and not had any failures I will NOT use them in the future.  Jason brought up a good point in May when we were in Ely and that is there are not enough hard turns in an ORR to warm up the tires sufficiently to justify the race tires. But there IS enough dips, patched surfaces and uneven road surface conditions to justify having the added rubber under your backside. ;-]>

  Mad Dawg Antenucci
  Team Pantera Racing

Art Stephens <artstephens at charter.net> wrote:
  Dennis,
Was Charlie injured when he went off roading three years ago? Was his
tire failure attributed to anything in particular, I guess what I mean is,
was it preventable or was it just bad luck? I remember talking to Charlie
at Ely in 2002, nice guy and cool car!

Art