[DeTomaso] Charlie on the hook again....

Scott Couchman scottcouchman at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 11 16:50:41 EDT 2007

Mike, I know it was too late to go this year when I expressed an interest several months ago, but I don't want another year to go by (cough.....cough.....I already feel the symptoms coming on) ......seems to me you made your reservations while you were at the track or shortly thereafter. If I can invite myself for next year, put me down for two of everything (I have a son that I don't want to hear complaining to me for an entire year if I don't bring him along). I'm still interested in staying another week of two and hopping over to London and catch the Goodwood if anyone is interested. Scott

MikeLDrew at aol.com wrote: Hi guys,

Nobody has logged more tow truck miles than Charlie McCall, and he just
called to announce that he's dead on the side of the road again.

He and Amaya were on a leisurely drive towards Le Mans, staying at chateaus
and enjoying the south of France, when his car was felled for the stupidest of
reasons--his damn alarm conked out.

"So what?" I can hear you all thinking.

Well, Charlie's all-singing, all-dancing Cobra alarm system has a built-in
vehicle immobilizer, which chops the ignition circuit if it decides than
anything is wrong.   The car was left in the rain, and apparently something
electronic went FZZZTTT, and now it is not behaving the way it's supposed to.   He can
start the car for 1/2 second before the alarm kills it.

That makes for slow progress towards Le Mans.

Fortunately, a local cop (he is in the middle of nowhere, WAY out in the
country) knew a friend who knew a friend who works at a high-end car stereo joint,
and he is waiting for that fellow to arrive.   Fingers are crossed for a
two-minute quick fix (bypass the alarm entirely), but as Charlie said, if the
alarm was that easy to bypass, it wouldn't be much of an alarm.

So the forecast is for the car to be towed an extensive distance back to the
stereo shop, whereupon it will be torn apart to search for the alarm
components (Charlie doesn't know where the brain box is located, or even what it looks
like).

Still, hope springs eternal.   He still hopes to arrive at our campsite on
Wednesday, mid-day, and stake out our turf; De Tomaso folks from England,
France, and (hopefully) Sweden will then filter in on Thursday.

BTW, Thomas Tornblom's wife is trying to get him to ditch work and buy a
cheap airline ticket down to Paris, so he can hop in the car (Renault) with
Stephane Bergeron and me and join us for the race, but he's waffling.   I think he
needs to hear from some of you guys regarding the choice of stay-at-work vs.
go-to-Le-Mans-with-the-boys....:>)

Mike

 See what's free at
http://www.aol.com.