[DeTomaso] Doc Abe Averages 118 Mph at Bonneville 100 Saturday- Congratulations Doc!!!!!

Scott Couchman scottcouchman at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 11 15:25:30 EDT 2007

Tom, Thanks for the input. I'm familiar with what the Silver State requires for safety equipment since I ran there last year. I'm planning to be good with all of that. What I'm particularly interested in are those things specific to Panteras. I want to make sure I don't miss anything in my preparation, and I'd like to leverage the experience of those that have gone before so I can learn from them and not repeat some of their mistakes. Scott

Tom Di Iulio <diiulio at ix.netcom.com> wrote: Mad Dawg will chime in here with more specifics but you can visit any of
the ORR websites to get most of the info you're asking for. A couple of
the big issues at that speed is the requirement of a full rollcage and
probably an onboard fire suppression system.
Those 2 items have kept me from moving up from my usual target speed of
115-120. although you car run up to 140 in that class without breaking
your tech speed range, you really have to consider how fast you should
be moving without additional safety equipment. I have never wanted to
install a full cage in a car that I routinely run on the street. Not
criticizing those that have, just saying it ain't for me.
As for our cars handling that speed, you should be adding aero mods to
keep the car planted to the road surface and also changing your gear
ratios. Obviously having Z rated tires are a must as well as an
effective cooling system.
Brakes are important but not as much as if you are running on road
courses, with plenty of gear changes and corners.
Running ANY car at 165mph is extremely dangerous and all your efforts
should be to make the car as safe as possible should you leave the road.
I don't think most people understand how close to the edge you are at
that velocity, especially in our 35 yr old cars.
One reason the "joke" about Dennis' death caused such an uproar was that
we all knew it could absolutely happen as described.
Tom Di Iulio
Denver, CO