[DeTomaso] THE TACH AND THE MSD AGAIN / READS LOW

SOBill at aol.com SOBill at aol.com
Mon Jun 11 13:23:38 EDT 2007

Ned,

Were the tach readings correct before the MSD  implant?

If "Yes" my GUESS is that the tach adapter output is marginal in  amplitude.

Here is a way to test an 8920 adapter in the car (other #  adapters should
test the same at the wire that goes to the Pantera  tach):

Checkout

You can verify that the 8920 is working in the car using a  multimeter. In
the following, +12V DC means the voltage of the  battery.

With the engine running the White wire between the 6AL and the 8920  should
read around +2.8 V DC. This indicates that the 6AL is providing a 20%  duty
cycle +12 volt square wave to the 8920. This voltage will not change  with the
speed of the engine because the signal duty cycle % does not change. If  the
White wire reads 0 V DC, you may have a bad connection. If the White wire  reads
+12V DC, the 6AL tach output signal is bad.

With the engine running, the Violet wire tach signal out of the  8920 should
read as follow:

1,000 RPM = 1.27 VAC, 2,000 RPM = 2.62 VAC, 4,000 RPM = 4.75  VAC

This indicates that the 8920 is putting out the normal point/coil  type
signal to trigger the Pantera Tach. Note that we are reading AC voltage  here
because we want to see the inductive ringing signal which occurs with each  spark
occurrence. The AC voltage reading on the Violet wire increases with  engine
speed.

With the engine running, if you disconnect the White wire from the  8920
(i.e. remove the 6AL tach trigger signal), the Violet wire of the 8920 will  read
+12V DC. With the White trigger wire then reconnected to the 8920, the  Violet
wire will read slightly less than +12V DC. Although the difference  between
readings is only on the order of 0.5V DC, this is a second indication  that the
8920 is working correctly.

If you have access to an oscilloscope, the 8920 Violet wire ringing  signal
is around 8,300 cycles and has a voltage peak of around +20 volts. Since  the
8920 has been used on many Panteras, the +20 volt peak and the 8,300  cycles is
adequate for the Veglia tach.

Hope this helps.

SOBill  Taylor
sobill at aol.com