[DeTomaso] Remaining Mangusta numbers...

www.ProvaMo.com pantera007 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 9 13:37:14 EDT 2007

The reason I asked about the number of DeTomasos (specifically Mangustas)
still "alive",
was because I was asked in regarding the Registry.

I only have what I consider a WAG (Wild Ass Guess).

I've heard the number of Mangustas still viable is less than 200.
---Other people's WAG.  The term 'viable' is debatable.

401 were made.  I believe the loss rate for this car might be higher
than similar/comparable cars.  This is due to the now known handling,
and the expectations of the driver.

I presume that all similar-era limited-production cars had similar rust
issues, and typical
new car crash rates.  If Mangusta parts were harder to find, or the cost
outweighed the salvage point, the rate of "scrap/salvage" might have
been higher than comparable cars.

But the car was loved/cherished from the beginning, so there was no "step
child" period,
where the cars suffered from being out of favor.

(Think of the number of MGs.  Here in California in the mid 1970s
you could swing a cat by the tail in any parking lot and hit a dozen.
Then they were seen as having little value, and were discarded.
Now they are coming back into demand, yet the millions have been destroyed.)

If the Mangusta fast became a high dollar (value) collectible car, the
high value would dissuade people from driving it or risking it.  As it is
I believe there are a whole lot of them hiding out in personal garages, not
having
been driven in 20-30 years.

So if we define viable as being at the level of "exists".
(A Mangusta counts if it exists in minimum form.)  Example: A while back a
guy
had 3 Mangusta for sale in Newhall (LA ???).  They may have had weeds
growing
thru them for years, but count all 3 as existing.
(I know the guy sold one, but still has 2 left for sale.)

As a reference point I'm told the Van Ess Registry had just less than 100
Mangusta
(As of 1996 or so).

I believe the ProvaMo Registry has approximately 75, and still growing, as
it's only
been 2 months.
(Naturally some Mangustas overlap both Registries.  But not 100% overlap.
I don't have my copy of the old book to compare with.)

In summary I think the guess of 200 Mangustas is reasonable.  I would guess
higher than that myself.  I hope there is more.

The Pantera is in a little different situation...But that is another
discussion.

Chuck
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
10:46 AM