[DeTomaso] FORD GT Numbers

www.DeTomasoRegistry.org pantera007 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 8 20:57:27 EDT 2007

  Y es I found the attrition rate high, but you can't accurately interpolate
linearly.

  When the Vipers were first sold, there was a similar loss rate.  Then the
dealers mandated
  a owners/driver's school.

  The numbers dropped even as the HP rose as the later versions arrived.

  But it begs the question(s)

  How Many Mangustas are still pseudo-functional/drivable?
  How many Panteras?

  Anyone care to pose an educated guess?

  I suspect the rate of loss for Panteras was higher in 1971 and 1972, than
say when the GT5 and GT5-S models were released.

  Experience can be a good thing.

  When I was learning to drive I "totaled" a number of cars, but they were
cheap & plentiful! Grin.

  Chuck

  Looked thru the Ford GT forum and found some stats.
  4,038 cars built
  378 exported
  217 known destroyed

  That approx 5.5% gone in 2.5 years ( being generous, because 2004 only had
3 months and all the ones sold in 2007 were leftover 2006 )
  That's about 2.2% per year
  So if you give them the life span of a Pantera ( using 1972 as the
median ), we have 35 years
  times 2.2% = 77% total destroyed by the time they are 35 years old.

  So what are we looking at?
  5,500 ( ? ) Panteras with 1,500 Survivors ?
  If so, that's an attrition rate of 73% destroyed over 35 years.

  Guess we had a few wieners buying ours back in the day as well!

  --
  Michael L. Shortt
  Savannah, Georgia

  privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
3:15 PM