[DeTomaso] Techno question: Lean carb and engine pinging

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Tue Jun 5 20:24:25 EDT 2007

Dear Forum,

             Just got the Pantera back from the mechanic.  I thought I had a miss and had them run diagnostics.   The good news is that the abused welded-upon MSD was working fine, but the exhaust gas analyzer showed that one cylinder bank was running lean.  They adjusted the carb and things do seem better.

            Last summer, I was fighting a pinging problem that finally improved by backing off the MSD distributor advance curve.

            Can a lean engine mix lead to pinging when previous engine parameters (CR; timing; octane) remain the same???

                    Engine rookie, Chuck Engles