[DeTomaso] Mixed messages about differential fluid

Tom Baranek Home tbaranek at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 5 14:02:11 EDT 2007

Copy all!
------------------------------

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: JDeRyke at aol.com
  To: tbaranek at earthlink.net ; detomaso at realbig.com
  Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 1:58 PM
  Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Mixed messages about differential fluid

Synthetic dif fluid has caused leakage thru old seals in the past, in some
ZFs that initially did not leak. ZFs are '60s technology so modern
'improvements' often aren't. Positraction fluids are recommended for all clutch-type
differentials (of which the ZF is one) to reduce chattering in turns, but that
decision may have been removed from our consideration, as most manufacturers now
simply add it to ALL their diff-fluids. On the gallon of Valvoline 80W90 I
recently bought from NAPA auto parts, it says 'contains limited-slip additives.
Will not harm non-limited-slip differentials'. And when I asked Lloyd Butfoy
about the "posi-lube issue" many years ago at 'Vegas, he agreed that it will help
some, do nothing for others and not harm any. 'Nuff said.
Good luck- J DeRyke************************************** See what's free at
http://www.aol.com.