[DeTomaso] radiator hose inner diameter w/napa numbers w/ install tip

Thomas Borcich Tborcich at msn.com
Tue Jun 5 11:32:55 EDT 2007

The two hose that are used on the radiator hose tubing are 1 3/8" and you will need two three foot sections to replace all the tubing from the engine to the radiator...Napa part number 29769-32777 (from bar code on hose), it also says Gold Stripe 631 and their website has it as item#NBH631 (http://www.napaautoparts.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=NBH&PartNumber=631&Description=Hose+-+Radiator+Upper<http://www.napaautoparts.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=NBH&PartNumber=631&Description=Hose+-+Radiator+Upper>),
Napa calls it their gold stripe stick hose the same as the Gates Green stripe made by Gates for Napa. If you click around on the NAPA website page it says that it is made by Gates and give all sorts of specs such as it starts to degrade at 450 degrees...so don't run it above that! ha ha) The working pressure of the hose is 110 psi. Napa sells a cheaper version of the hose which looks identical but it is their White Stripe hose and as I recall it is only a 90 psi working pressure. Really you only need the white...if your pressure cap is 13-16 pounds, the hose shouldn't ever approach the higher pressures. But since it is such a bear to replace it all I went with the gold stripe for a few bucks more per foot.

The other hose is the one that comes off the water pump and that is 1 3/4", NAPA part number 29769-32780. You only need 6" but they sell it in 1 foot minimums or full 3 foot sticks. I just re-did all my hoses and put in stainless tube from Byars.

Also a trick for putting the hoses on in tight places...this was suggested by one of Dennis Quella's mechanics who installs these daily...instead of using the rubber grommets that protect and insulate the metal tubes from the chassis bracket...run the hose  a little bit longer (an inch or two longer) without the grommet but use the rubber hose as the grommet by inserting into the bracket hole, then put your clamp on. I found this to be helpful at the rear most firewall brackets...it is so tight in there and if you stub the metal hose end even with the metal bracket then insert the hose in to insulate and then clamp behind, it makes it a little easier. Make sure there are no really sharp edges...hit it with some sand paper.

Best regards,

Tom Borcich