[DeTomaso] Mixed messages about differential fluid

pantdino at aol.com pantdino at aol.com
Mon Jun 4 16:56:28 EDT 2007

 Tom,

There was a big discussion of this on the Ferrarichat list, a car which uses a European-made transaxle that puts the gearbox and diff in one case.

The analysis was that limited slip fluid is too slippery and will cause the synchros to not grab optimally, which will tend to give gear graunching and POSSIBLY early failure.? Using gear lube that is not designed for limited slip may cause some binding under acceleration with the steering wheel turned hard lock, which will cause a kind of intermittent grab-and-release of the inside tire.? If this happens and is a problem you can add a bit Limited Slip additive bit by bit until it goes away.? Since flooring the throttle with the wheel at hard lock is something I never do, I haven't noted it.

I switched to Red Line 75W-90NS and have noted some improved shifting compared to the StaLube 80W-90 "approved for limited slip" stuff I used to use, but it's not a night and day difference.

Jim