[DeTomaso] Car related laugh for the day, LPC (Little Pantera Content)

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Sun Jun 3 23:29:48 EDT 2007

So I go to change oil in my daily driver, a Ford ZX2.  Hmm, I seem to be
out of synthetic, no bother, I'll just use this Napa brand 10-40 I've
had sitting on the shelf for several years, it should do until I pick up
a new case of synthetic.  Besides, I need to change the oil again soon
anyway, as a "clean-out."

So I get the filter changed, and decide to plunk that first quart of oil
in.  While I'm at it, I'll start taking out the bolts that hold the
spark plug cover on.  What's this?  An oil pan plug.  !?!?!  Oops.
Looking under the car, sure enough, brand new oil draining into the oil
pan.  Pretty too the sun is so bright I can see right this stuff, not
like the stuff that came out earlier.  Put the plug in stupid.

Onto quart number two (it's a good thing I got five quarts out of the shed)

Off with the spark plug cover, off with the plug wires/boots, and out
come the plugs.

Holy CRAP!

Now, at this point, let me go back and tell you the reason I wanted to
pull the plugs.  In my humble opinion, the engine has been running kind
of puny lately.  Seems like it's missing on a cylinder every now and
again, but it still runs decent and drive fine on my commute everyday.
I figured I'd pull them to check them out, then if I need some, pick
some up.

It's after 1900 (7 pm RPT), all auto stores are closed.  I hadn't really
thought I'd need to get them THIS bad.

The gaps on the plugs range from .075 to somewhere over .100 and there
are only four of them.  The center electrode is worn down to a razor
thin wire.  The ground electrodes are tapered, one has a spike of
something on it pointing to the center electrode and others have little
divits you could hold a small golf ball in.  Wait. . . WTF. . .These are
Motorcraft PLATINUMS!  Who the hell put THESE in???

It certainly wasn't me.  I've not changed plugs on this car since I've
owned it.

The memories go back to 1987 when I tried a set of Bosch Platinums in
the Mach I, only to pitch them after about three weeks.  Seems I know
remember this kind of bad running scenario from way back.

Did I mention the part stores were closed?  So I stare at the Pantera
and think, hmmm, maybe I should just drive it the next few days.  YES!
you all say.  YES, I say, but darned if I can't get it out unless I move
the stinkin' ZX2 now.  I'm pinned.

So, I get out my trusty points file (you know, from waaaaaay back in the
capacitive discharge days of motoring) and file both the ground
electrode and the center electrode.  Then I have to gap the things.  The
one with the most worn center electrode ends up having the ground
electrode bent over like a hook in order to get it close enough to gap
at .065.  Now mind you, I'm guessing here at .065, but I figure it's
gotta be close.

Put them all back in, cross my fingers and it fires right up.  Seems to
be running a lot better too.  So now,  . . .
Do I swap the cars and drive the Pantera?  Oh noooo, not me, I'm going
to temp FATE, and drive the ZX2 to work tomorrow, pick up parts on the
way home (plugs and oil) and see just how well backyard shadetree
mechanicin' really works.  :)

I'll be getting the Pantera out Wednesday to stretch it's legs.  Wish me
luck.

Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired

& Shelley Marie