[DeTomaso] LIGHT BULB PART NUMBERS NEEDED

Dave Doddek pantera at pobox.com
Fri Jun 1 22:44:37 EDT 2007

Leds will respond to various voltages and dim just like a regular bulb.
This is actually how those big screens work at the ball park.  They are
giant LED tv displays.

The problem with leds in a car is not the led, but the dimmer.  Dimmers
depend on the current of the bulbs to reduce the voltage though a small
resistance.  Hook up only one bulb in your dash and it wont dim either.
Leds draw such a small amount of current the dimmer does not make a
difference.  You could dim them with a higher value resistor that you could
buy from someone like Newark.

Dave "electrical guy" D

At 10:24 PM 6/1/2007 +0000, you wrote:
>The stock dimmer switch does not work with LED instrument light bulbs.
Well, actually it turns the LEDs either totally on or off, but doesn't dim
the output light.  LED's are basically digital devices so an analog voltage
reostat doesn't really do anything to the brightness of an LED.  I've heard
that there are digital gizmos that will dim LED bulbs but haven't actually
tried one yet.  To my eye, the LED instrument lights aren't so bright that
they need dimming but are significantly brighter than stock (probably
similar light output to a 5 watt or maybe even an 8 watt incandescent bulb).

>I have before and after photos of the tail light LED bulbs (mucho
brighter), but forgot to do the same thing with the instrument bulbs.  Oops.

>--
>Dave Bell

Space City
>> Pantera kit makes no mention of that, however.
>>
>> Warmest regards, Chuck Engles
>>

>> ---- Christopher Kimball <chrisvkimball at msn.com> wrote:
>> >Didn't I read that if you use LEDs the dash dimmer doesn't work?
>> >
>> >Thanks,
>> >
>> >Chris K.

City
A bit