[DeTomaso] FW: dust cover question

David_Bell at oxy.com David_Bell at oxy.com
Fri Jun 1 16:34:33 EDT 2007

Forwarded from Jack DeRyke:

________________________________

From: JDeRyke at aol.com [mailto:JDeRyke at aol.com]
Sent: Friday, June 01, 2007 2:34 PM
To: chrisvkimball at msn.com; detomaso at realbig.com
Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] dust cover question

In a message dated 5/31/07 10:29:51 PM, chrisvkimball at msn.com writes:

<< What terrible things will happen to me if I run the car without dust shields on the front hubs? >>

Unshielded brakes simply will not work when you first use them in rainy
weather. Those things are not exactly 'dust' shields, they are more importantly
'water' shields! I found this out when I adapted Camaro 4-piston disc brakes to
my autocross Corvair (originally had drum brakes). Nothing quite like running
merrily thru the hills in rainy weather, touching the brakes and getting a firm
pedal that doesn't even begin to stop you! Repeated heavy pressure on the
brakes will eventually heat up the rotors enough to boil off the water and then,
you can stop. Since we cannot predict when there will be a puddle in front of
you, I would do what it takes to add such shields. My 2¢- J DeRyke