[DeTomaso] Front suspension - Disassembly, Day 1

John Maffeo johnmaffeo1 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 31 16:10:44 EDT 2007

Asa Jay,

  If one of them is cracked, I have some billet ones on ebay right now:

  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DeTomaso-Pantera-Billet-Aluminum-Sway-Bar-Mounts_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6763QQihZ001QQitemZ110154621038QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

  If you want stock replacements, I have a pair that I will give you for free.

  Good luck,

  John

Mad Dog Antenucci <teampantera at yahoo.com> wrote:
  AJ-All,
You're probably right..... but just for jollies make sure the sway bar brackets on front end are not broken or cracked.....easy to miss.

MD

Asa Jay Laughton wrote:
I'm sure I probably have a combination of problems, at least one of
which was masked by the difficult steering which is now fixed. I do
believe the ball joints should be replaced; I have been getting a
clunking over bumps/dips, especially on the gravel driveway we have, and
at least one has a severely torn boot. Next up would be the tires as a
couple of folks have suggested. They are going on 10 years old and have
mostly sat in one position in the garage for some time. I also know the
front end is out of alignment, specifically toe, which could also
account for the shimmy. The a-arm bushings though, although cracked in
appearance, seem to be pretty firm.

Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired

& Shelley Marie
Spokane, WA

1973 Pantera L 5533
[ASASCAT]

******************************
http://www.asajay.com
http://www.351c.info

SOBill at aol.com wrote:
> *Asa,*
> **
> *Bad ball joints typically cause clunk/clunk sounds over bumps or when
> turning.*
> **
> *I had some pretty serious steering shimmy that was cured with new tires.*
> **
> *Maybe your old steering was providing enough friction style damping
> to mask the problem. I would look for tie ends or rack inboard pivots
> which are loose.*
> **
> *Have fun,*
> **