[DeTomaso] Alternator options

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Jul 29 17:56:52 EDT 2007

In a message dated 7/29/07 13 44 22, pantera at kommevalla.se writes:

> What brand is the stock alternator? The alternator in my car is a
> Motorcraft
> with external regulator (I can't see any other data on it). What other
> alternators could be used?

Yes, that's the stock unit (probably) and it's fairly underpowered for the
high electrical demands that the Pantera has.

It is quite easy to buy a replacement alternator with increased output; all
the Pantera vendors carry them, as well as the on-line parts shops like Summit
Racing.

Your choices are to buy a direct replacement with a higher capacity (which
uses the stock voltage regulator), or a more modern unit with a built-in
internal regulator.   Those come in both three-wire and one-wire flavors.   There has
been much debate as to whether a three-wire is superior to the one-wire
configuration.   I believe that the one-wire advantage is one of appearance only,
as they look neater when installed on a hot rod with an exposed engine
compartment.   But for our purposes I think a three-wire unit is the best option.

My car actually has a General Motors alternator, from a Corvette I think,
although I don't remember the specific part number.   It required a spacer to fit
in the bracket correctly if I recall.