[DeTomaso] multiple mods- long

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Jul 29 15:24:11 EDT 2007

In a message dated 4/16/07 6:46:37 PM, dfzll at aol.com writes:

<< I am waiting on a new engine, which is 377ci Cleveland stroker. I am
interested in what major or necessary modifications some of you have made to your
Panteras for:

Don't know if anyone actually answered you, Don, so here's my take:
  1.  Suspension upgrades
Extra caster in the front end will add more high speed stability and reduce
tramlining or following road grooves with wider tires. This can be done by
adding polyurethane offset upper a-arm bushings to give about 4.5 degrees back;
max possible stock was 2.6 degrees.
2- unless you know for sure the steering rack has a bronze bushing in the
right side, this needs to be done or instability and noises will occur within 10K
miles on a brand new stock bushing.
3- the spring spacers need to be removed from the coilover shocks frt & rear.
4- adding a pair of 8" Campys in front (like are on the back end) will ease
the steering because these wheels are offset 1" further inboard and give a more
correct wheel alignment than stock 7" Campys.
5-adding 3/16" thick shims under the steering rack mounts will correct some
if not all the bump-steer in the car.  Note that all of these individual
changes (except the 8" wheels) requires re-alignment of the front end before driving
very far.

2.  Cooling upgrades

Any stock 37-yr old radiator needs to go away. I use an aluminum Fluidyne
with dual sucker fans in a Flexilite fan shroud mounted behind the radiator.
Note- any Pantera radiator can be slanted fwd. This does nothing good or bad for
cooling but makes it easier to connect up the hoses etc behind the assembly. It
is not mandatory. Slightly longer hoses may be needed';the Fluidyne rads from
Pantera vendors come with 90 degree extensions to fit around the shrouded
rear fans, two thermal switches for the Flexilite fans and slant-fwd straps along
with good rear shroud mounts. Generic speed shops sell the Flexilite fans &
Fluidyne rads cheaper but with no extras, so you have to piece the system
together to actually make things work. Drill out or cut away the stock
front-mounted fan holders for rad clearance when slanting it fwd. Also be sure to cut down
the upper rad cover after slanting the rad- a top cover is necessary.

3.  Brake upgrades
Stage 1: Throw away the non-adjustable proportioning valve & the shuttle
valve under the brake booster and simply hook the lines together correctly. Add
performance brake pads from EBC or Porterfield.
Stg 2: add ventillated front rotors. These can be cast-iron Mustang or
lighter aluminum-hat Brembos. Both work with all stock front calipers & are true
bolt-ons.
Stg 3: add ventillated rear rotors and bigger rear calipers. This requires
complete disassembly of the rear suspension so is a good time to inspect the
stub axles, bearings and lower cross-pivot shafts, and fix as required. It also
discards the stock parking brakes; Pantera East has a variation on my separate
mechanical calipers that function as great parking brakes using the stock
cockpit handle, cables & linkage.
Note- the 1st 3 changes will give excellent road brakes but are NOT
racing-grade. Adding racing brakes adds maybe 6X the cost of stgs 1-3 inclusive but
gives you brakes suitable for semi-pro road events. The best assemblies will need
bigger 17" diameter wheels & tires, too- at $3500 or more besides the cost of
brakes.

4.  Lowered floor pans (I'm 6'2" too short for the cockpit) >>
I'm also 6'2" but with modified seat cushions in stock early seats that also
now adjust for rake angle, I can drive all day, with or without a helmet on,
without touching the roof. A minute's adjustment allows my 5'6" wife to drive
with equal comfort. and when I sit in the passenger seat, I cannot touch the
front firewall with my toes, thanks to the modified flat firewall blister I
added.
Most if not all substituted seats especially Recaros are even thicker than
stock in base or back, so the problem is compounded. Dropping the floor pan is
simply done by cutting around the two sides & back, and bending the flap of
steel down, then welding in filler pieces. 2-1/2" is about the max you can get,
and locks the seat in place once done 'cause then there's no back & forth room
for adjustment. Cutting further fwd for adjustment chops out a floor pan
side-brace that stiffens up the chassis, and you don't want to weaken the chassis
any more!

There are multiple articles on all these subjects in the POCA newsletter,
more each month, and back issues are available. Are you a member? In what
location? I can recommend help in most areas of the U.S & Europe. If not a member,
e-mail <JPOCA2@ hotmail.com> for details on joining us.
Good luck- J DeRyke, newsletter editor & tech ed.

the all-new AOL at http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour</HTML>