[DeTomaso] [resend] Shake in the Front end

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Sun Jul 29 12:07:44 EDT 2007

Well, it was a long day of work, but I got the new bushing installed in
the steering column. -THAT- was a pain.  I got the shaft sanded down
nice and smooth at the right size to slip the new Pantera Performance
Center bushing on with enough play to not cause binding.

Then I hammered the bushing into the steering column sleeve, and the
shaft no longer fit.  Argh, back to sanding the shaft to fit the bearing
again.  Once fit, a bit of synthetic grease, some more assembly and viola!

I can't understand why I waited this long.  The steering wheel moves
sooooooo smooooothly, I can actually turn the tires on the garage floor,
something I've not been able to do before.  No grinding noise, no
arm-stronging it around, this kicks butt.

But. . .
I took it out for the required spirited drive to really make sure it
felt good, and oh my goodness did I have a shake in the front end at 50
MPH that just about beat my arms to a pulp.  I think I've been missing
that because of how difficult it used to be turn the wheel.  Now I can
feel everything.

So, up in the air goes the front end (I've not done it yet), to inspect
everything else.  I have a sneaky feeling I'll be after bushings next.
I wonder if Wilkinson is still running that good deal. ;)

Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired

& Shelley Marie
Spokane, WA