[DeTomaso] A couple of questions from NZ

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Jul 27 17:18:45 EDT 2007

In a message dated 7/26/07 2:43:41 PM, hamish.lamont at clear.net.nz writes:

> Way back in 1977, in suburban New Zealand, a low to the ground, thundering
> beast
> of a car clipped the apex of a corner on which stood an awestruck eight year
> old
> boy. Thirty years later the promise the kid made himself that day is close
> being realised: I am GOING to have one of those!

> I’ve been ‘lurking’ on the Forum for a while now (getting my fix
> vicariously)
> and thought I might just say Hi and ask a couple of questions.

> What’s the deal with the front bumperettes with integrated turn signals? I’
> ve
> seen them on everything from Pushbuttons to GT5-Ss. What model are they
> from?
>
>>>Ah, that's a question for a mega-dork, my favorite kind. :>)

Here's the story.

The original Pantera used front bumperettes which incorporated the turn
signals.   The turn signals are actually stand-alone units (perhaps sourced from
another car, although I've never recognized them from anything else), which are
bolted to the bumperettes, which are in turn bolted to the car.   The
bumperettes actually differed slightly from one market to the next, in subtle and
not-so-subtle ways.   The 1971 bumperettes have a squared-off inner corner,
whereas the 1972 and later ones have rounded edges.   Some 1971 bumperettes are
actually longer, and wrap a bit further around the side of the fenders than
others.   I learned this quite by accident, looking at Kirby Shrader's car and
discovering that his rear bumperettes didn't match.   He'd never noticed it (nor
had anybody, I think) until I pointed it out.

(See, I told you I'm a dork). :>)

With the coming of new bumper laws for 1973, the Pantera had to be modified.
 Tom Tjaarda did a masterful job of coming up with 'impact' bumpers which
blended in with the car's styling neatly (more than can be said for many
competing marques).   With the advent of this one-piece bumper, the turn signals had
nowhere to live, so the nose of the car was subtly changed, with metal pods
inlet into the valance to accomodate the (same) turn signals.

The first "L-model" Pantera was #4269, produced (nominally) in August 1972.
The Pantera L was also available in Europe, although it normally was *not*
equipped with the one-piece bumper, at least not in the front.   Instead, trim
bumperettes (a simple blade) without provisions for turn signals were used, and
the turn signals continued to live in the pods.

Very oddly however, the European Pantera GTS continued to use the original
pre-L front end, complete with turn signals in the nose, and an early-style
front end.   That's one way to instantly tell a Euro Pantera L from a Euro GTS.
How strange.

The later GT5 and GT5-S Panteras used the L-model turn signal/bumper scheme.

As for the rear, European Pantera L cars often (perhaps more than 50%) had a
one-piece bumper, same as the American cars, except it was usually chromed.
I've also seen a few Euro GTS Panteras with a one-piece chrome rear bumper,
but most seemed to have the two-piece bumperettes.

> >Right now I’m doing my Pantera ‘apprenticeship’ (before I import a car
> from the
> US or UK) and working on my wish-list and budgets. 5263 which is for sale at
> P I
> Motorsports would be an ideal starting point, except for poor timing (mine
> that
> is, not the cars) I’m building up a new business and I’m just not quite in
> position to bite the bullet, though I’m planning to get to the States in
> October, visit PIM and look at some cars, before I come back and buy one in
> mid
> 08..

> Pantera owners (of which there are a few, you know...) is the best thing you
> can do.   Are you hooked up with the rest of the Christchurch Pantera clan?
>  If not let me know, and I'll pass you the appropriate contact info.
>
> >Ultimately I’d like to take an already modified car another step with steel
> GT/4
> flares and a GT5-S front valance and air-dam. Has anyone ever seen pics of a
> US
> car done like this?
>
>>>Sure.   In fact, that's the way the genuine Gr4 race cars were configured
after the end of the 1972 season.   The deep Gr4/GT5 air dam is both effective
and attractive, but *extremely* vulnurable to curbs, speed bumps etc.
Although it would be tempting to fabricate it in steel, I don't think I've ever
seen somebody that brave--even the cars that have steel flares normally have a
fiberglass air dam, which is held on with screws, and normally needs
replacing/repairing frequently.