[DeTomaso] Electronic Ignition

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Jul 27 14:36:06 EDT 2007

In a message dated 7/26/07 3:41:43 PM, dbakker at arrayasolutions.com writes:

<< Anyone have any recommendations to convert over to electronic ignition? >>

FWIW David,  I converted 3 years ago to a stock Ford 460 distributor, coil
and Duraspark ll brainbox, and am satisfied. This is a cheap drop-in 'factory'
conversion sold by all the Pantera vendors that uses the identical cast-iron
distributor drive gear as a 351-C (compatible with cast iron cams), and needs
the same double- pinning of the gear as old stock distributors as well as all
the super-wow-wow 'racing' distributors.
Note- ANY electronic ignition system can be made to fail. But failures with
Duraspark 2s seem to be restricted to the brainbox ($39) and coil ($26), and
those are available anywhere, anytime in the U.S at Kragens, Pep Boyz and other
generic car-parts stores as well as most wrecking yards. They're so cheap, I
simply carry a spare. And since Ford made billions of them, there was actually
some durability testing done, not just by customers, as with the
speed-shop-specials.
The Duraspark distributors & pickups seem bulletproof. I recently modified my
system a little, using a stock Ford TFE coil running with the Duraspark
distributor, per JC Christian's recommendation. Duraspark coils are oil-filled and
can overheat & short if you do something silly, while the solid-epoxy
insulation on the later coil MAY be more robust & certainly delivers a hotter spark,
at the same cost as the oil-insulated coils.  Good luck- J DeRyke
<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL
at http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour</HTML>