[DeTomaso] Electronic Ignition

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 26 19:11:43 EDT 2007

David,

  I'm running a Mallory Unilite electronic ignition (distributor) with an MSD Blaster 2 coil and
  MSD 8mm plug wires. The system has worked great for 4 years. When I bought it I was told
  to carry a spare optical module because "they go out."   But, if you look at the mail list
  archives over the past 6-8 months, there are tons of posts about MSD ignitions going out.
  Well, my Mallory recently went out, but I have since learned that they don't just "go out"; it
  was MY fault. I learned a lot about electronic ignitions in general while diagnosing my
  problem and larned that regardless of the system you use - Mallory, MSD, Ford Duraspark,
  GM HEI, etc. - you should NEVER jump start your car with a booster pack (the partable
  jump start packs like you can buy at Costco). They will spike your electronic ignition. Also,
  unplug your module/box if you put the car on a battery charger. And never weld on the
  vehicle with the module/box connected. I did everythig I was not supposed to do multiple
  times in the last 6 months, except weld on my car. I'm suprise it took so long to kill the
  module.

  Anyway, I wrote an article with pics about the experience and what I've learned. I just need
  to send it to Mike Drew and Jack DeRyke.  Maybe it will come out in a future newsletter.

  Cheers!
  Garth