[DeTomaso] radiator

www.ProvaMo.com pantera007 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 25 20:38:05 EDT 2007

In one case (a Datsun 510) the tube that goes to the overflow bottle
broke free.  I used the hand torch (propane ???) and rosin-core solder
(radio shack)
to solder a glob around the leak.

Another time a rock impacted right where a fin was soldered to the upper
tank
(On a vertical fin top-to-bottom style).  Made a hell-of-a-mess down the
front of the radiator
late one night, but it sealed.

Later I had to cut this tube out, and fill the new holes with solder, as the
whole tube
was apparently damaged.

What is worth noting is that using a lot of "flux" (Rosin) helps the solder
flow and adhere
to the radiator.  Also use a wire brush to remove any/all paint or "debris"
so you make a good contact.

On the Datsun, the top tank is/was known for cracking/leaks with hard
driving.
What I did was to empty it, turn it upside-down and fill the whole channel
between the tank and
the core with solder.  After this, I didn't have any more
vibration-generated leaks.

I would not care to "build" a radiator this way, as I believe this is not an
optimum solution.

The heat generated by a hand torch is marginal at best.  Add the dissipation
effects of a radiator
still filled with "some" coolant (like a roadside repair), and you are
testing the limits.

I found that once I traveled with the tools in my trunk, I NEVER needed to
roadside-repair
a radiator again.   Hmmmm.  Murphy's Luck.

I suggest you play with an old radiator (if you have one) and see what you
can do.
I've seen some really cool tiny welding torches (tank is hand-size), not
good for a long time welding,
but at the track, or in a squeeze, they produce more BTUs than the Wal*Mart
variety.

They are pretty good at getting truthful answers out of suspects too.

(Doop, did I write that !?!?!  GRIN)

Chuck

Dear Chuck,

              Please elaborate and explain.   I had no idea that was
possible nor any idea a simple Wal Mart hand torch can repair a leaking
radiator.    I would think the coolant contained within the radiator would
make such a task very difficult, yet you say it is easily doable?

                            Impressed,  Chuck Engles