[DeTomaso] Incorrect gas gauge

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 24 13:32:54 EDT 2007

Just another reference point for the non-calibrated nature of our gas gauges.

  When mine is full it registers Full.
  40 miles after fill up it registers at the 3/4 mark, or slightly below.
  But I can drive for quite a long time between 1/2 tank and Empty.
  And, at Empty the warning light comes on.

  I have not tested how far I can go after the warning light comes on, however the most I've
  been able to add at a fill up was 19.5 gallons.

  Now, I recall a year or two back that someone posted that they made a simple electronic
  converter to calibrate the fuel gauge. I think they took ohm readings from the sender as they
  filled the tank 1 gallon at a time, then created a mapping table to send an accurate reading
  to the gauge. Does anyone remember who that was?  I recall they were planning to make it
  available for sale, but I never saw anything more on it. Does anyone have more info?  I'd like
  one.

  Cheers!
  Garth

  YMMV,