[DeTomaso] IDA Webers - Power Enrichment

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 11:01:51 EDT 2007

The key work is "expert". Since there are so many possibilities for tuning,
its easy to get hopelessly lost if you are not an expert. Second little
problem is, there are 5 fuel jets, two air bleeds and an emulsion tube- per
barrel.
The cheapest jet was around $4.00 in 1990. Experts get that way by trying
things, most of which do not work, and boxing up the spare jets for the next
go-around. Third problem is, the 48IDA flows about 250 CFM of air per
barrel, usually mounted on an individual-runner intake so all one cylinder
sees for fuel & air is from only one carb throat. So perfectly tuned 48 IDA
Weber equipped Panteras seem to run out of breath around 5500 rpms.

***I think that there is universal agreement that Webers require someone
with considerable experience to get the most out of them. But I would
respectfully dispute that a Cleveland will run out of breath at 5500 rpm
with Webers, as the factory Group 4's will show. Patrick Hals' "Andy Warhol"
car is weber equipped (I just checked my photos), and happily pulls to his
6500 rpm rev-limiter. His last dyno sheet showed roughly 550 crankshaft
horsepower.

Whats really needed for a 351-cubic inch engine that revs above 6000 rpms is
a 58IDA or DCOE. Weber reportedly made only a dozen sets of this size back
in the '60s....  A 700 Holley 4-bbl flows 700 CFM for each cylinder thru a
shared intake, to produce about the same or more power.
Next, I'm told that since Weber stopped making these things 20 years ago,
all the ones for sale that are not on running cars today will have dried-up
gaskets, shrunk o-rings &  likely will need  total rebuilds. Gasket kits
aren't real cheap either.
Bottom line - EFI is also infinitely tuneable, costs about the same as
Webers for the basics but usually flow more air, and you don't have to store
all those fiddly little carb-parts; just an occasional software program. And
if you go for the individual throttle body style EFI, the appearance is
Weber-like, too.
Good luck- J DeRyke (with drawerfuls of Weber jets & stuff I'll likely never
use again)

the all-new AOL at http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour</HTML>