[DeTomaso] IDA Webers - Power Enrichment

Göran Malmberg hemipanter at hemipanter.se
Mon Jul 23 02:22:01 EDT 2007

Webers have sofisticated jet systems apart from Holleys and the like carbs.
They use an emulsion tube which at its bottom have the main jet and at the
top
an air jet. The emulsion tubehave a number of holes that mixes air and fuel
together for an gasoline emulsion that is transported to the nossles. The
emulsion tubes can eve have different outer diameters which leaves for a
emulsion reserve that can be used before the main system is feeding  the
engine.
As this quantities of emulsion is used upp it will "undress" the emulsion
tube
leaving the top holes open for more air to lean the fuel more.

They also use a similar system for idle feed but it does not include the
emulsion tube.
But it do have idle jet and air feed.  They also have a acc pump system with
good adjustability for both quantities and time lenght.

The IDA carb is race oriented and does not have provision for air filters
but there are aftermarket filters to buy. Hovever, airfilters on an IDA
demand
the use of a airtight hose down to the main airbleed system or else the air
bleed will feel a slightley different airpressur than within the air filter
and this will
affect the nossle feed giving a richer mixture. No matter how "open" the
airfilter
might be.

Myself I used IDA at the 1980:s for the street and it worked fine, the
closest
I ever was to a fule injection system. The Pantera managed 24 mpg att 60 mph
only speed and constant trottle. Engine was 302 Boss. It peaked 427 hp at
6700 rpm.

The problem with Webers are to find people that can handle them. Not to
mention syncronice them and fabricating a proper linkage.
Holleys do only have an mixture screw for the low speed system making people
believe that every jetting operation should be with the main jets. This is a
problem
when it comes to low speed correction. In a case of lowspeed problem the
Holley
becoms more troublesome than the Weber to work with. Therre are
"Holleyrelated"
carbs claiming better adjustability in those fields but still not to the
same extent as
the old Webers 40 years old.

Goran