[DeTomaso] GT5S fender replacements...comments?

Mark A. Nygaard markn at nyga.net
Sat Jul 21 16:31:37 EDT 2007

Cal,

This is a big undertaking.  I am wrapping up a conversion from a
converted '73 GT5 to a GT5-S.  I am very happy with the results, but it
is not a cheap undertaking.  The sheet metal that is out there does not
even come close to fitting and if you look at many of the GT5-S
conversions the body lines are different than an original GT5-S.  Pat
Mical used an original GT5-S as a template to build my car and had to do
a ton of reshaping.  I have a web site up that partially describes my
experience with doing this project.  If you are interested, the URL is
http://www.nyga.net/pantera.

In another response to your question Mike Drew stated that he thought a
budget of $50K was in order.  I think that guestimation is quite
accurate, if not a little low. That is of course assuming the new
interior, tires, shocks, etc.

As I said earlier I am very happy with the results of my car and I have
no regrets about doing this project.  Just make sure you know what you
are getting into and you find someone who knows what they are doing when
installing the sheet metal.

If you would like more information, please feel free to contact me.

Best regards,

Mark