[DeTomaso] New Owner with a few questions

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Jul 17 22:49:47 EDT 2007

In a message dated 7/17/07 7:21:00 PM, dbakker at arrayasolutions.com writes:

>     1. I think my clutch is going. I have to practically floor the
> clutch to get it to shift.
>
>>>No.   With a Pantera you have to COMPLETELY floor the clutch EVERY time to
shift it.   No 'practically' about it, or you'll quickly eat up the synchros.

Your clutch is your friend.   Use it. :>)

> >Also if I punch the gas the engine will speed
> up and then the cars speed will catch up. It kinda revs higher and then
> lowers once it gets moving (a second or 2).
>
>>>THAT sounds like a slipping clutch.   It could be that the clutch is shot,
or that it is improperly adjusted, so that it is partially depressed even at
rest.   That would mean that the throwout bearing was in constant contact with
the fingers of the clutch, and that will eat up the throwout bearing in no
time.

However, the symptoms described here are contrary to your earlier issue; if
the clutch was already partly depressed at rest, then you wouldn't have to move
the pedal as far to fully release it.

So, based solely on these two items of evidence, it sounds like your clutch
is shot. :<(

How many miles are on it?

>     2. My turn signals don't work. Im assuming this is either a turn
> signal module or fuse.
>
>>>Do the hazard lights work?

The turn signals are routed through the hazard switch.   If that switch dies
(or is disconnected) the turn signals don't work either.

The problem could be the turn signal switch, the hazard switch, the flasher
unit, disconnected wires, or ??????

Zoom on over to www.panteraplace.com and go to the technical information
section; therein you'll find system-by-system wiring diagrams by Bill Taylor.
Print out the turn signal/hazard light diagram and start hunting.   If you get
stuck, come on back here.   Be sure to be detailed with your query; describe
the problem, as well as the things you KNOW, as much as possible, which will
help narrow the cause of the problem.

Good luck!