[DeTomaso] Rain Cover vs. Tecnalon CoverCraft cover

www.ProvaMo.com pantera007 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 16 13:21:38 EDT 2007

My thoughts on the subject:

Something to consider is what do you do with the cover once it is wet (and
you are far from home) ?

The car cover I like best (and I have 3 left over covers from Vettes) is...

WAX.

When I wax the car I also do the windows.  Water beads off like Rain-X.

Then the car dries while I drive along.  Most car covers suggest (sometimes
in the fine print) not to let the car (cover)
get (really) wet.  I've seen the damage to paint when a cover is left on
after a rain.  I think car covers are really only successful to protect
the car from the sun (and birds).

To improve or re-freshen the moisture resistance, one could also spray the
cover with a repellant product like Scotch-Guard.

I have traveled thru rain and light snow, and keeping a towel or two (and a
bag to hold them afterwards) is a good idea.

So my funky final thoughts:

Steel protects the contents.  Primer protects the steel, paint protects the
primer, wax protects the paint.

Chuck

I took the pcar to a show yesterday. A 20 minute pop-up rainstorm came up. I
thought, no problem I have my "BLOCK_IT"R Evolution Fabric, by Kimberly
Clark, TechnalonR cover from CoverCraft ($175.00). I waited nearly a year
for this opportunity! I watched people running by the hundreds to roll up
windows and close convertible tops. I don't need to close my windows or
worry about my car getting wet, right, WRONG!

After the rain, my car was soaked, as wet as the guy next to me without the
high tech cover. Aggravating and embarrassing to say the least. The only
reason I bought the cover was for this type of situation. The high tech
instruction sheet says ".short dense fibers that act as moisture barrier to
repel water yet allow the passage of air." It goes on to say "Technalon
covers will keep the vehicle dry except in a heavy rainstorm or prolonged
exposure to steady damp conditions such as accumulated snowfall." I
understand NOW it will protect the vehicle from Fog!

Covering the car with paper napkins would have been just as effective and a
pack of 500 would have taken less room in the front trunk.

Is there a cover (reasonable cost) that will shield the car from rain? I am
not concerned about breathable fabric. The cover would only be on the car to
protect it from rain and then removed.

Thanks

Indy Dave