[DeTomaso] 2nd gear

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Jul 16 10:29:50 EDT 2007

In a message dated 7/16/07 5:54:03, gt5s at bcpl.net writes:

<< If the
edges of the teeth on the gear that engage with the synchronizer as well
as the mating synchronizer gear teeth are chipped or worn and rounded it
is then that the ZF is likely to pop out of gear. Maybe I have an
improper understanding. >>

>>>Nope, that's correct--that is ONE of the functions of the synchro.

I had the gear-popping problem after my gearbox was rebuilt.  Well, *I*
didn't have it, but other people who had these same aftermarket synchros installed
had it.  They were machined incorrectly, and would allow the car to pop out of
gear.  Mine was one of a batch that were fitted with these parts; the vendor
was kind enough to self-identify the problem, re-rebuild my gearbox after
re-machining the offending synchro ring, and I never had any problems.

I'd look for non-obvious contributors to the problem, such as the shift
linkage U-joint hitting the chassis, or the trunnion bearing being loose, etc. and
eliminate all such possible causes before tearing the gearbox apart.

Mike<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> Get a sneak peak
of the all-new AOL at http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour</HTML>