[DeTomaso] Keeper

Sean Korb spkorb at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 23:38:16 EDT 2007

How do you know when you've found a keeper?

Forgive R.O. sentences and  misspellings... I've had quite a bit of J.B.
Rye.

I've met a few P-car owners with fantastic S.O.s, and I've wondered how they
kept them.  The thing to do is date a lot (which I haven't) and do your
thing and see how they react.

I took the engine out of my Pantera today, and it was more than just an
event.  Be sure to invite 6 automotive enthusiasts of any stripe to share
the experience and keep you from doing what I did.  As I removed the engine,
unbenknownced to me, the rear chain got caught up in  the works and caused
the engine to come off balance and lift the car off its jack stands.  The
S.O. was innocently transplanting cacti to larger pots and noticed my
distress.   She gave counter balance with her six year old to the engine
that was destined for doom on the right fender of the Pantera.  Her 120 lbs
of weight (what every woman would like to be, but is unnecessary due to a
thing called reality) came into play to keep my engine hoist from tipping
over.

Thank goodness she came to my rescue!   We worked the engine out with
judicious use of human counterweights (including her six year old) and
carefully backing out and in of the cherry that we were picking.   She was
right there and her son can be directed by hand signals and stern
authoritative tone.

Now, the thing to do is to invite at least six automotive enthusiasts (you
can call them nuts, if you think it more appropriate) to do this job without
injury, and that's what I recommend.  But if you want to see if your S.O. is
worth the indulgence in plant life and room and board, you can use this test
at your peril.

I'm going to build her a Jaguar C-type.

sean

--
'65, '68 Mustangs, '68 Cougar, '78 R100/7, '71 Pantera #1382