[DeTomaso] clutch

Art Stephens artstephens at charter.net
Sun Jul 15 21:31:11 EDT 2007

Jay,
     I believe you want to have as little free play as possible without
having contact with the throwout bearing.  So,  you should feel significant
pressure just after touching the clutch pedal.  If you don't get much
resistance until you are near the floor,  you won't be getting enough
disengagement of the clutch,  which in turn will wear out your synchros
prematurely,  (expensive).  You need a little free play to keep from wearing
out the throwout bearing prematurely. You just want to keep that free play
to a minimum.  At least this is my understanding and what I strive for.

Art