[DeTomaso] Fuel Pump Question

Doug Braun doug at silicondesigns.com
Thu Jul 12 12:44:11 EDT 2007

Art,

	The richness of a carb's mixture is dependent upon the level of the fuel in
the float bowl.  Any reduction in the bowl level leans out the mixture
because the venturi effect has a harder time sucking fuel out of the bowl
through the jets.  If the fuel pump can't quite keep up with the demand, the
fuel level in bowl will fall and the engine will run lean.  You're correct
that if the bowl level falls far enough the engine will die but the danger
is that the fuel level falls but not far enough to kill the engine.  You can
check for this by reading your spark plugs right after a hard run, by using
a fuel pressure gauge that you can read under wide open throttle or a
wideband O2 sensor.  I chose to mount a lighted Autometer fuel pressure
gauge on the passenger side engine cover that I can read in my rear view
mirror.  This also tells me when my fuel filter is getting too dirty.

Doug Braun
blue 73L #5505