[DeTomaso] Just when I thought it was safe to go back in the water...

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Thu Jul 12 02:47:08 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I'm writing from a hotel computer because I'm at a conference in Hawaii, so
I may not be able to respond for a week or so, but I want to cover two
things:

I ran the power wires for the two, original radiator fans from the new,
Dakota Digital fan relays directly from the alternator side of the ammeter,
with very heavy-duty wire (two solid-core, 12-gauge wires twisted together),
but I used in-line fuse holders with glass tube fuses.  When I replaced the
fuse holders with 40-amp rated holders using 30-amp spade fuses, the fans
worked fine again.  Then, instead of simply tapping in to one of the
original fan's wires to power the third fan (which I tried and it resulted
in the first fuse meltdown) I ran a third relay off one of the original
fan's wires.  Then, I ran the power wires to the third, sucker fan through
that new relay directly to the same ammeter location as the other fans.

The result, after finally test driving the car in very hot weather downtown,
was that the temperature remained stable at just above the 190 degree mark,
so the plan seems to have worked.  Sort of...the only problem now, is that
when idling at low speeds, the ammeter reads a slight discharge which
indicates the three fans are putting a pretty big load on the alternator.
Once I get above about 1100 RPMS or so, however, the ammeter happily sits
right where it should--the middle of the gauge.

ON A DIFFERENT SUBJECT WHICH I ALMOST HATE TO BRING UP:

I've noticed that occasionally my car will pop out of second gear, back into
neutral, for no apparent reason.  The throw of the stick shift is set OK,
because the stick shift stops before hitting the guide, and reverse and
fifth seem fine.

Please tell me this isn't one of those "I need to spend $$$$$ to have my
transmission rebuilt" situations!  The car has 59,000 miles on it.

Thanks!

Chris