[DeTomaso] Just whe I thought it was safe to go back in the water...

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Sat Jul 7 18:34:55 EDT 2007

When I took my '72 to the mechanic's on Thursday to have them put in a third
sucker fan, they informed me they were swamped and couldn't get it done by
the weekend.  They gave me the fan and the little plastic things that hold
it against the radiator and said I should have "no problem" installing it
myself.  Like a fool, I believed them...

I installed the fan after removing the two top bolts on the radiator so I
could move it forward slightly to allow me to slip the fan down and mount it
to the radiator.  I hooked the power wires in parallel with the driver's
side fan, which is wired with heavy-duty wire to the Dakota Digital fan
relay system I installed some time ago.

Once it was all hooked up I took it for a test drive.

Upon returning home, not only did I discover none of the three fans were
working, and the two fuses leading to them (30 amp) were blown (the fuse
holder for one was melted into a mass of plastic), and to top it all off, it
appears I broke the radiator while installing the stupid fan!  Coolant is
dripping from the passenger side lower front corner where it appears the
lower part of the radiator has separated from the main part.

I am bummed.

Does anyone have any idea why the fan relay can't support two fans?  Do I
have to buy a third relay to get three fans to work?

Sincerely,

Chris