[DeTomaso] Centerforce clutch & PP

Dick Koch arkoch at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 7 10:23:53 EDT 2007

I just replaced my single disk Ram clutch setup with Quella's dual disk
McLeod setup.  My Ram clutch failed due to a slave free play
mis-adjustment error by me (slave bottomed out which I didn't catch).

My original plan to repair the problem was to have Ram rebuild my
existing clutch and pressure plate, which I had them do.  On the advice
of some of my extreme performance crazies and knowing I would be pushing
the limits of a single disk setup with the increased torque developed as
a result of freeing up the exhaust restriction on my turbines, I decided
to look around for a setup that would provide a larger safety margin
before I installed the RAM setup.

After a little research, feed back from several folks on the forum,
conversations with Dennis Quella, and input from the techs at
Centerforce and RAM, I decided to go with Dennis' street version of his
McLeod dual disk setup.  What cemented my decision to go with the dual
disk setup was input from Centerforce that they did not have a single
disk setup for the street/track that they recommended for over 500
ft/lbs of torque at the flywheel.   While the Ram setup may have been
able to handle the increased torque of my engine, I decided to spend the
extra monies on the dual disk setup to "insure" a comfortable safety
margin..

I used Dennis' dual disk setup that included an aluminum flywheel,
throwout bearing, clutch disks, and pressure plate.   I also decided to
go with a needle bearing pilot "bushing".  While not necessary, I
decided to also install a long throw, clutch slave cylinder.

While the installation requires additional diligence to insure proper
fitment and clearance, it was pretty straight forward.  There was one
issue with the starter on my car that may have been specific with my car
that had to be fixed.  I let Dennis know what to add to his installation
instructions to insure other folks checked for that potential
interference problem.

I am very satisfied with the performance of the system at this time.
The clutch peddle pressure is less than the RAM setup (less pressure
plate spring pressure and new long throw slave cylinder).  Other than
having to get used to the quick engagement in first gear, the shifts are
just as smooth as before.  As usual, Dennis made himself readily
available to answer any questions I had.

I do feel, as others have stated, that a dual disk setup is overkill for
the vast majority of the Pantera engine configurations.   I was willing
to pay extra (about double the RAM setup using my existing flywheel) to
obtain a comfortable safety margin.

Dick Koch - Atlanta