[DeTomaso] Centerforce clutch & PP

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Jul 6 10:57:50 EDT 2007

In a message dated 7/05/07 4:40:45 PM, wkooiman at earthlink.net writes:

<< I always thought dual disc clutches were too racey for street use.  After
riding in Upton's car, I can say that's not true. >>

Biggest problem with dual disc clutches is the Pantera's limited
release-distance which causes even more clutch drag. At the flywheel of most Panteras, you
can get maybe 0,035" disengagement distance with the pedal matted. That won't
change with a dual disc so it means that each friction surface clears the
adjoining surface by 0.008" instead of .017" (which itself is marginal). Even a
long-throw slave won't help much. So I'd guess that Panteras with dual disc
clutches wear their ZF synchronizers faster than those with a single disc.
And of course, a dual-disc clutch was designed for very high-torque engines
like GM's 454 or a Ford 460, or so that one can reduce the diameter of the
whole clutch/flywheel/bellhousing, in order to lower the engine & center of
gravity. IMHO, only the Mangusta could really benefit by using a small diameter
dual-disc clutch, and it would cost around $2000 to integrate into a real car.....
so of course no one's done it. FWIW- J DeRyke
<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> See what's free at http://www.aol.com.</HTML>