[DeTomaso] New Owner Questions, Help

Larry - Ohio Time Corp larry at ohiotimecorp.com
Thu Jul 5 11:39:24 EDT 2007

Hi Clay,

Welcome to the family.

#1 problem
In general if one thing acts odd when a second is turned on it is a problem
with the ground of the second item. It is hunting for a good ground and will
take one where ever it can find one. Fred has talked about the poor
grounding of items on the front 1/2 of the car. I would start by cleaning
all connections and grounds. You may also want to attach some temp. grounds
to see if thing work ok. The next thing I always look at is other peoples
work. At this point in time God is the only one who knows how things are
wired. If you can disconnect the fans or other changed ckts. then do your
head light test.

The voltmeter is not a real good tool to use between a battery cable and the
battery post. It is way too sensitive of a tool. If you have a memory in
your radio or alarm system it will read a full 12 volts. But the power draw
will be very low from them. What you need to use an amp meter to tell you
the power draw. If you do not have one lying around you can use an old head
light. Wire it on the two battery posts to get an idea of how bright it is
at full load, and then install it between the post and the cable. The
brightness of the lamp will give you a clue on the draw.

#2 problem

I think Jack has said that the fan motor can come out with the dash still
in. I have not had the pleasure of doing that job.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Larry (do you smell smoke?)- Cleveland