[DeTomaso] New Owner Questions, Help

F&D Terry gt5s at bcpl.net
Thu Jul 5 07:48:41 EDT 2007

Mike,

All automobile ammeters already have an internal shunt otherwise their
delicate meter circuit would be instantly destroyed. The shunt is
usually brass and of a known cross section so that the amount of current
bypassing the meter circuit can be calculated. The minuscule current
that does go through the meter coils causes it to move a precise amount
and thus register the amps. Placing a second shunt across the meter
terminals may cause the meter to cease functioning depending on its
cross sectional area.

There is no good reason to add a second shunt. If the meter terminals
are clean and tight it will operate as intended. I ran a 120 amp
alternator on my car for years that supplied the heavy current demands
of an electronic fuel injection without an incident. There are those who
advocate shunting the ammeter but to me it is a useless endeavor.

Take a look at http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_8/4.html

Fred T.