[DeTomaso] New Owner Questions, Help

clay willmott claywillmott at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 4 21:44:01 EDT 2007

Hello, I just got my first  Pantera a month ago and I was hoping someone may
have insight for two problems I have encountered.

Car: 71 Push Button with optima, 100 amp alternator, MSD and Radiator/fan
upgrade with 2 fuse relay.

Problem #1: Electrical:

When I turn on the headlights, the gauges go all the way to the right (Temp
 > 220 etc) and the lights are very slow to come up and dim.  The temp and
other gauges are fine once I turn the lights back off again.  Also, the
wipers and window switches only work if the cars is above idle and are very
slow.

Things I have done: Took battery/alter to be checked and they were good.  Of
note the positive battery post to terminal has 12 volts through it when
removed from the post on a voltmeter. I think this would be a large short
circuit somewhere in the car????

If it is a short where to start?  Anyone had this problem?  The car is quite
modified and it is kind of confusing under the dash.

Problem # 2:  Dash fan blower sounds broken (sounds like a rock is in the
blades) and blows out nasty insulation from ac hoses.  I have removed the
sticky black insulation since then.

Do you have to take the entire dash apart to get the fan housing out?  If so
is there an easy way to remove/replace/repair it?

Thanks
Clay
Poca # 4181