[DeTomaso] Dizzy gear blues - Dan or someone help please?

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Sun Jul 1 15:18:46 EDT 2007

Dear David,

            You wrote:

> Windsor motor, MSD dizzy, brass gear.
>
> It appears the teeth on the brass gear are about 1/2 worn through -
> this means the wrong gear for the cam, correct?
$$$$$$$$   In my experience with a Cleveland and the same scenario: yup.
Wrong gear.

> Do I replace w/ steel or iron gear?  Is this a Napa item?  Ford item?
$$$$$$$   The replacement is certainly steel or iron, but I *cannot* give
you the definite answer.   I have sent you a link for a Dan Jones reference.
I think it will help.   You'll have to check on the NAPA- Ford parts
departments yourself.

> Or am I staying home next weekend?
&&&&&&  We shall see.

> Next question:  how much damage, if any,  do these brass filing do to
> my motor?
&&&&&&   That was my question to my mechanic at the time.  Seems like I did
not get a definitive answer, but the indirect response was to replace the
gear and change the oil and filter and press on.   I suppose the pure
approach would be to pull the engine and ever so slightly tear it down,
clean it and rebuild with new bearings.   I suppose the pragmatic Code of
the West would point you to simple gear replacement with and oil and filter
change.

> What next?
%%%%%%  Read Dan Jones' post.

                    Where are you going next weekend?

                              Bad karma happens with Panteras when trips are
planned,  Chuck Engles