[DeTomaso] Clutch fluid question

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Jul 1 02:52:07 EDT 2007

In a message dated 6/30/07 9:49:10 PM, chrisvkimball at msn.com writes:

> I have a question about the reservoir that holds the clutch fluid in the
> front trunk.  The little plastic bottle looks empty, but when I tried to
> unscrew the lid, it's stuck and the whole little reservoir started turning,
> so I didn't want to force it and break something.  (I'm assuming it's for
> the clutch fluid since that's what someone told me...)
>
>>>Yes indeed.   Often the lid will sort of 'bond' with the bottle, from
overtightening.   I've also seen lids that have actually split apart because
people tightened them until the flat top of the lid broke off from the threaded
sides!

> My clutch currently works great, but I want to drive the car about 150 miles
> between now and Tuesday when it goes back to the shop and can be looked at
> properly.  Am I risking really messing something up by driving it without
> the fluid in the reservoir, or am I OK?
>
>>>Well, first of all, since the bottle is opaque, are you *sure* it's empty?
  It could also be filled to the top.   If the car is functioning properly,
I'd guess that it's filled to the top, which is why you don't see any fluid.

>  If I do need to take care of it
> immediately, what kind of fluid should I put in the little plastic bottle,
>
>>>DOT 3 brake fluid.   I prefer Ford's High Performance fluid, available at
Ford dealerships.   The system quantity is quite small so you won't need more
than one bottle.

> and am I risking damaging something by trying to get the lid off
> forcefully?

bit fragile.   Fortunately, replacement bottles (with lids) are available
cheaply, from Alfa Romeo distributors, such as:

http://www.international-auto.com/index.cfm?fa=p&pid=2618&posid=881465&
noapp=1

The bottle is $47, while Wilkinson is selling complete new master cylinders
for only $69 or something like that.   So if you bust yours to shreds, it might
be worthwhile to just suck it up and change the whole thing.   Depends on how
ambitious you are, and how confident you are in the status of your old one.

> Thanks for any advice you can give.
>
>>>Have the cell phone battery charged and the AAA card handy!   But I think
you'll be alright....