[DeTomaso] Adventures in steering column repair

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Jul 1 02:40:19 EDT 2007

In a message dated 6/30/07 7:51:54 PM, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> And while you are there, take a gander at the wiring genius that was my
> ignition switch connection.  Now mind you, I would have liked to use
> something better than what I found, but I'll have to do a lot more
> research first.  Until then, what I found and used will do fine.

Actually, yours is (now) one of the more sanitary installations I've seen.
The original ignition switch just had four bare wires, which were attached to
the main harness with that horrid eight-screw connector.   I would guess that
at some point your ignition switch was changed for a newer one, which had a
modern connector.   Some people might have been tempted to cut that connector
off, but the wires perhaps weren't long enough, so it was kluged into place.

Anyway, congratulations on finding both problems, and being well on your way
to repairing them.

The PPC steering *column* bushings are (or were) a low-demand part because so
few people know about them.   I've installed a few, and each time it's taken
several weeks to get them because they seem to be perpetually out-of-stock.
I told Becky at PPC that after the article came out, there would probably be
more than a few people discovering they had this problem, so they'd better gear
up production. :>)