[DeTomaso] Clutch fluid question

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Sun Jul 1 00:48:33 EDT 2007

I have a question about the reservoir that holds the clutch fluid in the
front trunk.  The little plastic bottle looks empty, but when I tried to
unscrew the lid, it's stuck and the whole little reservoir started turning,
so I didn't want to force it and break something.  (I'm assuming it's for
the clutch fluid since that's what someone told me...)

My clutch currently works great, but I want to drive the car about 150 miles
between now and Tuesday when it goes back to the shop and can be looked at
properly.  Am I risking really messing something up by driving it without
the fluid in the reservoir, or am I OK?  If I do need to take care of it
immediately, what kind of fluid should I put in the little plastic bottle,
and am I risking damaging something by trying to get the lid off forcefully?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Sincerely,

Chris

PS:  By the way, today I drove my Pantera to the big, historic racing car
show at Pacific Raceways, my first ever car show where I actually entered a
car of my own.  It was great, but here's the cool part:  Out of the hundreds
of cars there, I won second place in my class of 70's and 80's cars!  Not
bad for my first show!