[DeTomaso] stroker kit internally balanced?

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 28 15:21:41 EST 2007

I looked at the SCAT website, and they say that all the 351 cranks which use up to a 6 inch rod are 28 oz externally balanced, and all the cranks made to use greater than 6 inch rods are internally balanced.  Can someone explain why?

  Looked at the Eagle site, looks like all the forged 2.75 main cranks are internally balanced.  They do have a cast 3.85 stroke 2.75 main crank with a 28 oz balance.  They have one of these listes with their Specials for $233 with "cosmetic blemish".  might be a good deal?

  All I can guess is that they think anyone buying a 2.75 main crank is building a race motor and wants an internally balanced crank???

  One question for Dan, I know that Jack (maybe others) have said that the block is the weak link with a Cleveland.  I'm wondering if a good cast crank will break before the main webbing etc. in a Cleveland block fails?

  Ken

Daniel C Jones <daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com> wrote:
  > Hi everyone especially Dan Jones, I am looking to purchase a stroker kit
> from Flatlander racing, but the only forged kit for the cleveland that
> they offer is internally balanced.

Are you sure it's not the other way around? Most of the kits are
designed for external balance and you pay more for internal balance
because they must insert slungs of expensive mallory metal into the
crank throws.

> They seem to be the only shop that offers a standard size piston for
> the stroker kit, without a custom order.

That's surprising, as well. Have you tried:

Mark McKeown
McKeown Motorsport Engineering
http://mmeracing.com

or

Scott Johnston / RHP
10610 Golden Given RD.
Suite #2
Tacoma, WA. 98445
253-988-6648
http://www.reincarnation-automotive.com

> Can I use it and what do I need to do to use an internal balanced system.

You need a flywheel and balancer with zero balance.

Dan Jones